Main Content


Inspired by talented scientists and innovators around the world, CRDF Global provides grants, fellowships, and training to help them succeed in their fields and collaborate across borders.

Information for Awardees

This section provides information for soon to be and current recipients of our awards.

Before you receive your award
After you receive your award
Special information for supported travelers
Terms and conditions of travel support

About My Award
Payments (General)
Equipment, Supplies & Services (ESS)
Individual Financial Support/Salary

About My Award

I received an email saying my application was selected for funding. Can I start working on my project?

No. You may only begin working on your project after you receive a fully signed award agreement from your Grant/Contract Officer. Please be aware that expenses you incur before your award agreement is signed might not be reimbursed by CRDF Global.

Do I automatically receive the total amount of my award?

Most awards are cost reimbursable, and you will be reimbursed for your actual expenses incurred during the course of your project, up to the budget ceiling approved by CRDF Global.

If I have to change the scope of my project, or change the participants on my team, do I have to notify CRDF Global?

For any major project change, such as in scope, budget or personnel, you should notify CRDF Global in writing before proceeding.

Who should sign my agreement?

CRDF Global typically makes awards to institutions. Unless your award is written to you as an individual (such as for a travel grant or fellowship), an authorized representative of your institution should sign the agreement. This should be an official with the authority to enter into contracts for the organization.

I don't understand a term in my agreement. What should I do?

Ask us! The Grant/Contract Officer listed on the agreement can explain what the clause means for your project or institution. You may also feel free to put us in touch with the appropriate staff member within your institution for negotiating contractual terms.

How do I apply for a DUNS number?

Organizations can view or apply for a DUNS number at There are more detailed instructions in the Information for Awardees section of our website.

Payments (General)

My award agreement is signed! How do I request funds?

In order to request funds, please submit an invoice to your Grant/Contract Officer. An invoice should be on your institution's letterhead and should detail the purpose of the requested funds.

I need cash in order to start arranging my workshop. Can I receive funds from CRDF Global in advance?

If you require funds in advance to start the implementation of your project, you must submit a request form or invoice that explains the anticipated use for the advance—with specific expenses detailed—and the amount requested. You will likely be asked to provide supporting documentation like quotes from vendors you intend to pay. An advance payment request should be based only on what you will require for immediate cash needs. CRDF Global will generally not advance funds greater than 50% of the award value or for a period of longer than three months of use at a given time.

How long does it take to receive my payments?

Once your award is activated, you may begin to request funds. You will submit your payment requests to the Grant/Contract Officer listed on your award agreement. Once a request for payment has been submitted, it can take up to twelve business days until you receive funds. CRDF Global generally provides payment in U.S. Dollars by electronic wire transfer. Due to the nature of international wire transfers, it is very important that the bank account information you provide us is accurate, otherwise the payment may not be successful. You may want to ask your bank for international wire transfer information.


Are there any restrictions on where I can travel?

Travel to countries that are subject to a United States embargo is not permitted.

Can CRDF Global assist me in obtaining a visa?

Travelers are required to obtain visas directly from the appropriate embassy or consular authority. CRDF Global can reimburse visa related expenses and can assist with required documentation, such as a letter of support and proof of travel medical insurance.

My institution’s travel policy differs from CRDF Global’s. Which one applies?

CRDF Global policies generally apply to all travel transactions. If there is a contradiction between your institution's travel policy and CRDF Global's, please consult your Grant/Contract Officer.

Do I have to use a CRDF Global-designated travel agency?

All travelers are encouraged to use the CRDF Global-designated travel agency in order to ensure compliance with our travel policy. Travelers may purchase airfare directly, but are strongly encouraged to obtain approval of any travel arrangements from the Grant/Contract Officer before purchase. Any travel that is not in compliance with travel policy may not be reimbursed.

What is the Fly America Act? Does it apply to me?

The Fly America Act requires that all domestic and international travel funded by the U.S. Government be purchased from a US-flag air carrier. The Fly America Act applies to any segment of a trip where a US-flag carrier is an available option.

The Fly America Act applies to most CRDF Global projects. Please consult your Grant/Contract Officer with any questions about this requirement.  

May I purchase premium class airfare?

CRDF Global only supports the purchase of economy-class airfare.

May I use my own funds or frequent flyer miles to upgrade to a premium class?

You may upgrade your airfare as long as the airfare purchased by CRDF Global is the lowest reasonable economy‐class fare.Travelers purchasing a more expensive airfare to obtain the upgrade must pay the difference between the lowest fare available and the fare purchased.

May I extend my stay to visit family after my project-related trip?

You may modify an itinerary for personal reasons, including extending time at the destination or transit point, provided that you absorb any additional costs, including change fees. Travelers who wish to incorporate non‐CRDF Global airfare segments on a trip are required to purchase a separate itinerary.

Can I change my ticket once it is issued? Will CRDF Global pay the penalty?

An airfare ticket can generally be modified at the cost of a change fee and any additional airfare costs. If the change is related to CRDF Global business, the cost is reimbursable. If the change is related to non-CRDF Global business, you will be responsible for the resulting fare difference. Changes to CRDF Global-purchased itineraries must be made through the CRDF Global-designated travel agency, unless otherwise approved by the Grant/Contract Officer.

Can my spouse travel with me? Can CRDF Global purchase the tickets?

Please consult your Program Officer to see if there are any restrictions on spouse/family travel. If allowable, you will be responsible for all travel arrangements and payments, however you may work directly with the CRDF Global-designated travel agency.

What is the Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) allowance?

The Meals & Incidental Expense allowance is a fixed daily stipend for expenses incurred while on travel. M&IE allowances vary by destination and number of days spent on travel.

How are M&IE allowances determined?

The allowances are determined by the U.S. Government based on the current cost of meals and incidentals around the world. Allowances for U.S. locations can be found here: Allowances for international locations can be found here: Travelers receive 75% of the allowance on the first and last days of travel and the full amount of the allowance on all other days.

I will be traveling to multiple cities. How will the M&IE allowances be determined?

Only one location’s M&IE allowance should be used per day. Use the M&IE allowance that corresponds to the location where you are spending that night (same as lodging allowance). For complex itineraries, please contact your Grant/Contract Officer for assistance.

What types of receipts are required to verify or claim reimbursement for M&IE?    

Receipts are not required to claim M&IE, however, you are required to provide documentation confirming the duration of stay in each location. Acceptable documentation includes transportation and lodging receipts. If CRDF Global has arranged your airfare and lodging, no receipts are required to claim M&IE.

What is the lodging allowance?

The lodging allowance is a nightly rate intended to be a ceiling on hotel/other living arrangement costs. It is based on the current estimated cost of reasonable lodging arrangements around the world.

Allowances for U.S. locations can be found here:

Allowances for international locations can be found here:

Travelers are reimbursed for actual lodging expenses per night up to the lodging allowance.

What if my lodging expenses exceed the allowance?

CRDF Global allows travelers to incur up to 150% of the daily lodging rate without prior approval. For expenses over 150% of the lodging allowance, advance written approval is required.

Is a receipt required to claim the lodging allowance?

Yes, all lodging claims must be supported by receipts.

I stayed at a family member’s house during my trip. May I request reimbursement to compensate them for their expenses?    

No, only expenses from legally registered providers of lodging accommodations will be approved for reimbursement.

Is medical insurance required for travel? What kind?

All travelers are required to have emergency medical insurance for the duration of travel. Travelers must submit proof of insurance prior to travel and may be reimbursed for this expense. CRDF Global can also purchase travel medical insurance on your behalf.

May I rent a car during my trip?

The use of a rental car must be approved in advance by the Grant/Contract Officer. If approved, you will be required to have a valid driver’s license and to obtain insurance via the car rental company.

May I request reimbursement for mileage traveled with my personal car while on project-related business? How is the amount calculated?    

You may be reimbursed for mileage expenses when using a personal vehicle. Travelers in the U.S. are reimbursed using the IRS Standard Mileage Rates: Travelers are required to submit documentation confirming miles traveled, which is easily accomplished using an online map application. For travel outside the U.S., please consult your Grant/Contract Officer.

Equipment, Supplies & Services (ESS)

How do I purchase equipment in my award budget?

There are two preferred methods for purchasing equipment. You may request CRDF Global to purchase the items on behalf of your project. Or, you may utilize your institution’s procurement process and then seek reimbursement by CRDF Global.

I just need some simple laboratory supplies that are available at a local store. Can I buy them myself?    

For purchases of expendable supplies less than $1,000, you may purchase the supplies and request reimbursement from CRDF Global. For larger purchases, please consult with your Grant/Contract Officer.

The materials I am looking for are available at a local vendor. Can CRDF Global make payment to the vendor in local currency?

CRDF Global can pay directly to a vendor in most local currencies. Please contact your Grant/Contract Officer for more information.

How does the direct procurement process work? How long does it take?

In order to start the procurement process, you will need to submit to your Grant/Contract Officer a pro forma invoice from the vendor and the appropriate selection justification. The Grant/Contract Officer will contact the vendor to arrange for payment and delivery of the items. Most procurements will be completed within 2-3 weeks of receipt, however, complex orders may require more time.

What is required in an invoice or price quotation from a vendor?

The invoice should contain a detailed description of the item(s) (including serial number), unit price, quantity, cost for delivery to your location, contact information for the vendor, and its bank information for wire transfer.

What are the rules relating to competitive vendor selection?

For purchases from a single vendor over $3,500, you must obtain quotes from at least three potential vendors and provide a written justification for why that vendor was selected.

Can I purchase equipment that was not specified in the approved budget?

In order to request equipment not specified in the project budget, please submit a justification for the request to your Grant/Contract Officer. The justification should describe why the equipment is necessary for the project and how the purchase will be funded.

I am planning to combine funds from my CRDF Global award with funds from another source to purchase a large piece of equipment. Do CRDF Global rules apply?

CRDF Global policies apply to all purchases funded in whole or in part by the award budget. If there is a contradiction between another funder's procurement policy and CRDF Global's, please consult your Grant/Contract Officer.

Who performs the customs clearance? Do I need a customs broker?    

The recipient of the shipment is responsible for customs clearance and customs duties. CRDF Global will reimburse the costs of shipping and freight and can assist with required documentation, such as final shipping documentation. Costs for a customs broker to assist are also reimbursable.

Who owns equipment purchased with CRDF Global award funds?

Equipment purchased utilizing CRDF Global award funds becomes property of the awardee institution. To verify the transfer of title, the institution is required to confirm that the equipment has been registered on its balance sheet. Equipment may not be sold or transferred to another location without advance written approval from the Grant/Contract Officer.

Individual Financial Support/Salary

What is meant by “Level of Effort” (LOE) and how does it relate to IFS payments?

Level of Effort refers to the time an individual spends working on a project. IFS/Salary should be budgeted based on the anticipated level of effort (LOE) by project participants and an appropriate labor rate. LOE should be estimated in the number of hours or days each project participant is expected to perform project-related work.

Do I need to keep a timesheet for my work?

Please review your award agreement for any timekeeping requirements. Unless otherwise authorized, participants must maintain CRDF Global timesheets. Timesheets must be completed by each paid participant on a daily basis and submitted to the Principal Investigator for review each month. IFS/Salary payments will be based on actual hours recorded on the timesheet.

I would like to pay additional staff in my next IFS request. Is this allowed? What is the procedure?

In order to request the addition of personnel to the project, please submit a justification for the request to your Grant/Contract Officer. The justification should describe the role the individuals will have on the project and how their IFS/salary will be funded.

One of the students on my project team recently received his Ph.D. I would like to increase his labor rate. Is this possible?

In order to request a change to the labor rates for personnel in the project, please submit a justification for the request to your Grant/Contract Officer. The justification should describe the reason for the adjustment and how the expense will be funded.

In what currency are IFS payments made?

CRDF Global generally provides payment in U.S. Dollars by electronic wire transfer.

This is the last quarter of my project and we have funds left over in our ESS budget. May I use these funds to pay additional IFS to the project team?

Generally speaking, project funds may not be reallocated to IFS without the addition of personnel or an approved change in labor rates. In order to request any other changes to the project budget, please submit a justification for the request to your Grant/Contract Officer. The justification should describe the reason for the adjustment.